Prospective students

Regardless of whether you are applying as a freshman or transfer student, the following information will help you apply to the University of California as an undocumented student.

Apply Online

To apply to the University of California, (including UCLA) visit the official UC application website. 

You can start the UC Application for fall 2019 when it opens in August 1st. However, the submission period will be from November 1 - 30. Applications must be submitted online by the last day of the filing period. 

Visit the catalog for the list of UCLA Majors by department. 

Personal Insight Questions

The personal insight questions gives you an opportunity to tell admissions more about your hopes, ambitions, inspirations, life experiences and more. Be reflective and concise as you only have limited words to respond to 4 of the 8 questions. Each response is limited to a maximum of 350 words

While the personal insight questions are an important part of the application, it is only one of many factors considered for admission decisions. However, it does help provide more context to the rest of the application. 

We recommend working on the personal insight questions early on a word document to allow you to proofread and edit it. Once you feel satisfied with the personal insight questions, you can copy and paste it onto the application. 

If you feel comfortable, you may disclose your undocumented status in the personal statement or the additional comments section. This will not affect your application. However, it will give more context an understanding about your own experience. 

Application Fee Waivers

If you are AB 540 eligible and meet the income requirements, you may get the application waived for up to four UC campuses.  The application will prompt to to the fee waiver based on your response to

the following questions in your UC application: 

- Citizenship status: If you choose “No selection” (see the tips for filling out this section below).

-California residency: If you attended a California high school for three or more years and will graduate or have graduated from a California high school.

- Your family's income and the number of people supported by that income.

You may apply to additional UC campuses, but you will have to pay $70 for each additional application.


Citizenship Status

Any student is eligible to apply to a UC, regardless of immigration status. As undocumented student (including those with DACA), you may select "No Selection", which is one of the options for the question on citizenship status. This will avoid additional questions about permanent residency or visa status. 

However, you will be asked additional questions to determine if you are a California resident for admission and in-state tuition (with AB 540) purposes. 

  • Have you attended a California high school for three or more years and will graduate or have graduated from a California high school?

  • How long have you lived in California?

  • Is your parent or legal guardian a legal permanent resident of California? [if you’re under 18]

  • Is your parent, legal guardian, spouse or registered domestic partner an employee of UC or a UC-affiliated national laboratory?

If you are considered a California resident for admission purposes, you may be eligible for the UC application fee waiver. You will also be considered for admission using the 3.0 minimum GPA (rather than the 3.4 GPA for non-residents).

Parent citizenship information:

You may be asked questions about your parents citizenship.  You do not have to answer these questions, but they will be useful to determine whether you are a California resident or not. Please answer these questions to the best of your ability. This information provided will not affect the decision to be admitted to a UC. 

Please visit our FAQs tab for more information on how to apply as an undocumented student. 

Legislation Affecting Undocumented Students


FERPA is a federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record.

AB 540: In- State Tuition

AB 540, authored by the late Assembly Member Marco Antonio Firebaugh became law in 2001. The California state law allows qualifying undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at public colleges in California.

To qualify for In-State Tuition under AB 540, you must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Attended a California high school for 3 or more years.

  • Graduated or will graduate from a California high school or have attained a G.E.D.

  • Registered at or are currently enrolled in an accredited institution of higher education in California.

  • Filed or will file an affidavit as required by individual institutions, stating that you will apply for legal residency as soon as possible.

If you are eligible for AB 540, fill out the affidavit, and submit it to Jennifer Seong and Ana Ibarra-Abu Malhi in the registrar office. You can also reached them at 310-825-3447.

AB 2000: In- State Tuition

AB 2000, authored by the late Assembly Member Jimmy Gomez became law in 2014. This bill clarifies that a student who secures

  •  three years of high school credit or

  •  has a total of three or more years of attendance in California elementary schools, California secondary schools, or 

  • a combination of those schools (high school or GED),
    is eligible for AB 540.

If you are eligible for AB 2000. fill out the affidavit, and submit it to Jennifer Seong and Ana Ibarra-Abu Malhi in the registrar office. You can also reached them at 310-825-3447. 


AB 343: In- State Tuition

AB 343, authored by Assembly Member Kevin McCarthy in 2017. It allows resident tuition for refugees with special immigrant visas (SIVs) who have fled Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria or other countries.

Specifics: The exemptions for the student is only available for the maximum time it would take to establish residency which is one year.

If you are eligible for AB 343, fill out the affidavit, and submit it to Jennifer Seong and Ana Ibarra-Abu Malhi in the registrar office. You can also reached them at 310-825-344. 

SB 68: In- State Tuition

SB 68, authored by the CA State Senator Ricardo Lara became law in 2018. The legislature expanded nonresident tuition exemption allowing adult school and non credit course work to establish eligibility for the exemption.

            Specifics: Students need 410 class hours of attendance

each school year in order for eligibility:

  • Graduation from a CA high school,

  • Attainment of a A.A/A.S at a CA Community College or

  • Fulfilling the minimum transfer requirements to transfer to a UC or CSU.

  • Student who payed nonresident tuition after January 1, 2018 who are eligible for SB 68 & AB 343 are eligible for refunds.

  • For high school students taking community college courses/prep, it is up to the community college district to allow them or not to be exempted from paying nonresident tuition

  • Continuation school, charter school and homeschooling still qualifies students

If you are eligible for SB68, fill out the affidavit, and submit it to Jennifer Seong and Ana Ibarra-Abu Malhi in the registrar office. You can also reached them at 310-825-3447.

California Dream Act

The California Dream Act authored by Assembly Member Gil Cedillo (Los Angeles), became law through the passage of two Assembly Bills, AB 130 and AB 131.

AB 130 (2012) allows students who meet AB 540 criteria (California Education Code 68130.5(a)) to apply for and receive non-state, privately-funded scholarships for public colleges and universities. 

AB 131 (2013) allows students who meet AB 540 criteria to apply for and receive state-funded financial aid such as institutional grants, Cal Grant and Chafee Grant.

To be eligible for the Cal Grant, you must submit the GPA Verification form to CSAC - instructions are included in the form. If you have attended UCLA for a year, you do not have to submit the form. If you are an incoming student, you must submit the form. 

The deadline to apply to the CA Dream Act is March 2nd of every year. 

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA: On June 15, 2012, the Secretary of Homeland Security announced that certain people who came to the United States as children and meet several guidelines may request consideration of deferred action for a period of two years, subject to renewal. They are also eligible for work authorization. Deferred action is a use of prosecutorial discretion to defer removal action against an individual for a certain period of time. Deferred action does not provide lawful status. 

Currently, the USCIS is not accepting new applications. 

If you are renewing your application, here are a few FAQ's. 

1) I though DACA was rescided. What happened? 
DACA renewals are currently being accepted, due to several federal court decisions throughout the country. 
2) Can I apply for DACA if I've never applied before? 
NO. USCIS is currently not accepting initial DACA applications. 
3) Can I apply for advanced parole?
NO. USCIS is not accepting application at this time.
4) Can I renew my DACA if I'm eligible? 
You will need 
- Form I-821D 
- Form I-765
- Form I-765WS
- A front and back copy of your current Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
- Check or money order for $495 made to "US Department of Homeland Security" 
- Any other documents as required for DACA Renewal applications)
(Passport photos are not require for DACA Renewal applications). 
5) When should I renew my DACA? 
Renew your DACA as soon as possible if it expires in the next 12 months, so long as your continue to remain eligible. You do not have to wait until 150 days before your DACA expiration date to submit your request to renew DACA. Please make sure to get your DACA renewal started at least 3-4 months before your DACA expires. USCIS is no longer notifying you when you need to renew. 
6) Can I renew if my DACA expired more than a years ago? 
YES. If you received DACA before September 5, 2016 and  you didn't renew, then you may renew your expired DACA by filing a DACA renewal application. 
7) Have the DACA eligibility requirements changed? 
NO. The eligibility requirements for DACA have not changed. Please speak with a qualified attorney before renewing your DACA if you have any contact with police or immigration authorities, or if you have changed your address. 
8) Can I get help with my DACA renewal? 
YES! Our service are free to current UC students and immediate family members. Please contact your campus attorney for help.
9) Can I get help with my $495 DACA fee? 
Please check with your campus attorney to see if your campus provides assistance with the $495 DACA Filing Fee. 

California DREAM Loan Program

The California DREAM Loan Program, authored by Senator Ricardo Lara,  allows for UC and CSU campuses to administer non-federal loans to undocumented students who meet the CA Dream Act application requirements.

Students who demonstrate financial need can borrow up to $2000 through the DREAM Loan Program.

Interest rates will be fixed at the same rates as Federal Direct Loans, with no loan fees. You must submit your DREAM application by the March 2nd deadline to be eligible for a DREAM loan.

SB 1159: Professional Licenses

SB 1159, authored by Ricardo Lara, is a new California law signed into effect in January 2016 that allows undocumented immigrants to apply for professional licenses. Learn more about professional licenses, and how this new opportunity can have an impact in your career goals. 

AB 60: Driver License

AB 60 authored by Luis Alejo, was signed into effect January 2015. AB 60 allows qualifying undocumented individuals to apply for a CA driver's license. For more information, visit the DMV website. 



Academic Advising

There are many options for academic counseling at UCLA. We encourage you to make appointments at least once a quarter with both your Departmental Advisor (for your major) and either a College of Academic Counselor or an academic counselor in the Academic Advancement Program. This will help you be on track to graduating.

College of Academic Counseling (CAC)

The College of Academic Counseling is divided into three major components: Fulltime College Counselors & Staff, College Academic Mentors (CAM) and ASK Peer Counselors. We strongly encourage you to meet with them at least once a quarter to make sure you are on track to finish your degree(s). However, if you are in the Honors Program, Academic Advancement Program or Athletics, we recommend you meet with the counselors in those departments instead. 

Full-time College Counselors & Staff are available to meet with UCLA College students for same-day appointments Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. They can help answer questions related to the following: 

-Degree requirements for graduation
-Scholastic difficulty (academic probation / STD)
-Program planning (double major) 

College Academic Mentors (CAM) are graduate students from a variety of academic departments who advise undergraduate students (freshmen and sophomores) on:

-GE program planning
-Choosing a major
-Preparing for graduate and professional school (juniors and seniors) 

ASK Peer Counselors are trained undergraduate advisors on UCLA policies and procedures. ASK Peer Counselors have multiple locations around campus and can offer the following services: 

-Questions about college policies and deadlines
-Petition Forms

To schedule an appointment, visit Murphy Hall A-316.

UCLA Departmental Advisors

The College of Letters and Science offers a wide range of academic advising to students by academic department. The academic advisors can help students in many of the following:

-Program Planning
-Degree Requirements
-Choosing/Changing Majors
-Counseling in Scholastic Dificulty
-Academic Options
-Major Requirements
 -and many more  

For a list of Academic Advisors and location by department, please visit the Directory.

Academic Advancement Program (AAP)

AAP is the nations largest student diversity program. AAP promotes academic excellence and offers support and programs to more than 5,000 students who come from underrepresented backgrounds.  Some of their services include, academic advising, mentoring (for graduate and professional schools), collaborative workshops on a range of topics, scholarships and summer bridge programs (for incoming freshmen and transfer students).

To access their services, you must be an AAP member. If you are not, but feel like you can benefit from the services they provide, visit New Student Programs office in 1232 Campbell Hall to find out how to become a member. 

The Graduate Mentoring and Research Program houses the UndocuBruins Research Program. This program gives undocumented undergraduate students an opportunity to conduct research under the guidance of a graduate mentor.

Membership is required to use their services. To find out if you are eligible for these services visit 1232 Campbell Hall. 

Community Programs Office (CPO)

The CPO houses student-initiated, student-run projects that work to promote equality in our communities. The three components are: access to college, retention in college and community service. 

As part of the Student Retention Center, the Writing Success Program offers quarterly workshops, one-on-one writing support, and daily drop-in hours.

    Their goal is to help ease students’ anxiety about writing and increase student confidence in their analytic and communication skills.

    Location: Student Activities Center, Room 106
    Phone: 310-825-5969

Study Abroad

Unfortunately, Undocumented students with DACA can no longer travel abroad with Advance Parole  .  

Besides meeting with IEO to make a plan to study abroad, we encourage you to meet with either, Student Legal Services at UCLA or an immigration attorney that can answer any questions and look at your case before you leave the U.S.

Location: 1332 Murphy Hall
Telephone: 310-825-4995


Everyone needs tutoring: not just those struggling academically, but also those who want to succeed in the quarter system!

  • A complete list of tutoring resources available for a variety of subjects can be found through UCLA College of Letters and Sciences.

  • For more tutoring options, contact your Departmental Advisor.

    • Advisors are usually listed under "Contacts" or "Staff", and are generally described as “Undergraduate Advisors" or "Departmental Counselors".

  • You may be able to find additional tutoring in the Los Angeles area for a fee through websites such as ULoop and Wyzant. These are outside organizations not connected with UCLA.

  • There are many options for academic support in Residential Life such as College Academic Mentors, Classes on the Hill, and Undergraduate Writing Center locations on the Hill, you can find out about them here.

  • The Student Initiated Access Center is a student-run, student-initiated outreach program. Services include peer advising, skill building, and tutoring for historically underserved populations.

  • If you qualify for AAP, you have access to their peer mentoring service which offers free tutoring to all AAP students who want to strengthen their abilities to think independently, read analytically, write well, reason quantitatively, and study effectively.

  • The Student Retention Center offers peer counseling, mentorship, and tutoring to undergraduates with academic difficulties, and cultural and social transitions.

  • The UCLA Library offers a terrific online guide, one-on-one help, workshops on multiple topics such as how to write research papers, and more. Check out their website for more resources and information.

  • The Undergraduate Writing Center helps students with particular writing assignments and also guides students to become more effective and confident writers. They offer one-on-one appointments with peer learning facilitators, as well as walk-in appointments for more immediate questions. If you are using this resource be sure to start early in the quarter as the later in the term it gets the more difficult it is to get in to see the experts.

  • Community Programs Office’s Writing Success Program: Get one-on-one writing counseling with peer support, quarterly workshops on writing, and daily drop-in hours.

  • Below are additional resources outside of UCLA that others have found to be helpful:

UCLA Libraries

There are eleven libraries available for students and each offer a variety of resources and services. 

  • The libraries have many different tools to help students succeed, from research tutorials, to book reserves from other campuses, to one-on-one appointments with librarians, and reserved study spaces, these are a terrific resources to utilize. Some libraries have 24-hour study space. 

  • The UCLA Library website alone provides a priceless resource for students. Also offered through the Library are workshops and tutorials regarding how to formulate a research question, conducting thorough database searches, techniques of research writing, proper citing, and more.

UCLA Undergraduate Writing Center

The Undergraduate Writing Center provides individualized consultations on writing. They offer support at any point in the writing process: when students are starting a writing assignment; after they have written a draft or part of a draft; after they have gotten feedback from a professor or TA and want to begin revising; as they are polishing a paper and want help in learning how to proofread and edit their own writing. 

Hours and Locations: 

A61 Humanities Location
Hours: Mon.-Thurs., 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.; Fri., 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
50-minute appointments & walk-in appointments available 

Rieber Hall 115 Location (for on-campus residents only)
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 7:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
25- and 50-minute appointments available & walk-in appointments subject to availability 

Powell Library 228 Location
Hours: Sun.-Thurs., 6:00 p.m.  - 9:00 p.m.
Walk-in service available too 

Phone: 310 206-1320


California Dream Act

If you are not a US Citizen or Permanent Resident but are approved for AB540 status, you are eligible to complete CA Dream Act. To allow UCLA to receive your application, please input our school code under the “School” tab: 001315.

All students planning to attend UCLA or planning to continue at UCLA; must have this application completed by the March 2nd priority filing deadline. Be sure to have your and/or your parents’ personal information and tax information available as the DREAM application will ask you to input personal information as well as income and assets.

Please do not postpone the filing of your CA Dream application until you and/or your parents file tax returns. You can use information from your W2’s or last year’s taxes to estimate your income. Once the current year’s taxes are filed, you will be able to correct the DREAM application you originally submitted; this will not result in a late application.

If you meet the AB540 eligibility criteria and are applying for a Cal Grant; in addition to filing your Dream Act Application by the March 2nd priority filing deadline, you will also need to complete a GPA Verification Form.  UCLA will automatically send out GPA verification forms for students that have accumulated 36 or more units at UCLA.  Click here to access the GPA Verification Form.

California DREAM Loan Program

The California DREAM Loan Program allows for UC and CSU campuses to administer non-federal loans to undocumented students who meet the DREAM Act Application requirements.

Students who demonstrate financial need can borrow up to $2000 through the DREAM Loan Program.

Interest rates will be fixed at the same rates as Federal Direct Loans, with no loan fees. You must submit your DREAM application by the March 2nd deadline to be eligible for a DREAM loan.

President's Work Study

President’s Work-Study is available to eligible AB540 students who have a valid DACA Employment Authorization and completed a CA Dream Act application by the March 2nd priority filing deadline.

Students must also have an Expected family Contribution (EFC) of no higher than $12,000 and DACA Employment Authorization valid for a minimum of 3 months after hire date. Students who meet eligibility requirements and would like to be considered for President’s Work-Study must submit a completed Work- Study Request form and a copy of their DACA Employment Authorization card to the UCLA Financial Aid and Scholarships office. Students who are awarded President’s Work-Study may be eligible for awards ranging from $1,500 to $2,000 depending on the grade level. 


10,000 Degrees 

The mission at 10,000 Degrees is to achieve educational equity, and support students with need to access and complete higher education to positively impact their communities and the world.

Act on a Dream

Act on a Dream believe that everyone has the fundamental right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, regardless of their place of birth or immigration status. And for those who are educating themselves to be better citizens of the world, we believe that they should be given the chance to take advantage of every opportunity. That is why we believe in immigrant rights.

My (un)documented Life

My (un)documented Life is dedicated to providing up-to-date information and resources for undocumented immigrants. Here, you will find the latest on scholarship opportunities, immigration news, ways in navigating the educational system, and more.

Immigrants Rising 

Since 2009, Immigrant Rising (formerly E4FC) has developed resources to help undocumented students across the United States find scholarships to pay for college. These resources have been assembled and updated by undocumented young people who have participated in Immigrants Rising's various programs. Thanks to the support of students, educators and parents like you, in the past year alone our scholarship resources have been accessed over 60,000 times.


The scholarship resource guide is a free, informative resource guide for students, parents, and educators with an extensive list of scholarships, including many that do not inquire about immigration status.

Financial Wellness Program 

The mission of UCLA’s Financial Wellness Program is to empower all Bruins to confidently navigate their finances in a way that supports their overall well-being. This program fosters financial literacy skills through workshops, coaching and online educational efforts. They created a Undocumented Student Scholarship Hunt.


Research Opportunities

UndocuBruins Research Program

The UndocuBruins Research Program guides undocumented AAP students in their junior or senior year to develop research experience and their graduate school goals. Participants undertake a research project under the guidance of a graduate mentor and a faculty mentor. UndocuBruins will also develop their graduate school applications- curriculum vita, draft personal and professional statements, learn how to obtain strong letters of recommendation, etc. Students who are interested in graduate school and who would like to learn about how to conduct academic research are strongly encouraged to apply.


The Undergrad Research Centers (URC)


The URC assists students in research. The centers support scholarly, critical, and creative research, provides mentoring and tutorials, and administers research stipends and scholarships.

Research Rookies

The purpose of the Research Rookies Program is to foster interest in research and demystify the research process within the Arts, Social Sciences, and Humanities.

Students undertake a research project under the guidance of two graduate mentors and a faculty sponsor for academic credit. Selected participants will attend workshops and information sessions that expose them to research opportunities and provide information about graduate school. Students who are interested in graduate school and who would like to learn about how to conduct academic research are especially encouraged to apply.

For more information, visit UCLA Research Rookies. 

Community Development and Social Justice (CDSJ)

The Community Development and Social Justice (CDSJ) Program provides AAP undergraduate juniors and seniors with a service learning opportunity that integrates research and community-based practice in preparation for graduate study in social welfare, public policy, urban planning, and public health.

Additionally, students are paired with an AAP Graduate Mentor who provides mentorship in their personal and academic development as well as advisement on the graduate school application process. Scholars also develop their resumes and/or curriculum vitae, write personal and research statements, and obtain strong letters of recommendations from professors and employers.

For more information, visit UCLA AAP Community Development and Social Justice (CDSJ). 

Legal Support

List of DACA Friendly Employers

Here is a list of DACA-friendly employers

The survey was conducted jointly by UPenn and UCLA. 

Commuter & Transportation

UCLA Transportation

UCLA Transportation offers a variety of options for students who need to commute every day, weekends or holidays, or just want to get around the city. There are options for walking, biking, public transit, carpool, and vanpool.

  • For maps of UCLA click here.

  • Driving directions to UCLA.

  • If you will be driving to campus most days and need to park remember that parking passes go very quickly and there are specific due date for parking application. It is important to stay on top of these dates and deadlines as parking off campus can be very difficult and time consuming.

Commuter Options

There are many options as a commuter at UCLA, especially if you use public transportation. Certainly try to team up with other transfers who are commuting from where you live (post it on the UCLA Transfer Facebook Group) and share the driving. There are also the Bruin Commuter Club, BruinGo! Transit, and the UCLA Vanpool ( that offer less expensive travel options.

MAP Transportation Scholarship

The Mariposa Achievement Project (MAP) is the Undocumented Student Program's (USP) commitment to enhancing the academic performance, retention and commitment to enhancing the academic performance, retention and continual success of undocumented students at UCLA.

Students can get a small scholarship to subside their mode of transportation cost. The application is available at the beginning of each quarter. 

***Unfortunately, you must be CA DREAM ACT eligible*** 

For more information, please contact the USP team at 

Health & Wellness

Arthur Ashe Student Health and Wellness Center (ASHE)

ASHE is your student health center, they provide quality, state-of-the-art healthcare, and education to support the unique development of UCLA students.

  • Health Insurance is mandatory for all UCLA registered students and a condition of enrollment.
  • The UC Student Health Insurance Plan (UC SHIP) is a comprehensive medical insurance program offered to UCLA students. All registered students are automatically enrolled in UC SHIP, but if you have comparable insurance and you do not want to keep UC SHIP as dual coverage, you must submit a request to waive enrollment by the specified deadline.
  • ASHE is the health center that you will use as a student with UC SHIP. Students can schedule appointments online, in-person, or by phone and can communicate with their primary care providers via secure electronic messaging.
  • Hours of Operation (Academic Year Regular Hours)
    • Monday - Thursday: 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
    • Friday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
    • Walk-ins available: Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
    • Closed Sundays & all University Holiday
  • Location: 221 Westwood Plaza (Bruin Plaza), Los Angeles, CA 90095
  • Contact Information
    • Main Line: 310 825-4073
    • Nurse Consult: 310 825-4073, Option 2
    • 24/7 Nurseline: 877 351-3457
  • UCLA Emergency Room: 310 825-2111
  • Email: Ashe E-mail 

Resilience in the Student Experience (RISE)

The ​Office of Campus and Student Resilience andCounseling and Psychological Services​ (CAPS) have created a “holistic wellness hub” on campus that provides a variety of programs, classes, trainings, and self-directed resources aimed at creating a greater sense of resilience on campus. This hub is called Resilience in the Student Experience​ (RISE) and is located on campus, downstairs at Lu Valle Commons room B-01. RISE serves as a physical extension of CAPS, and as part of its programming, RISE offers meditations, yoga, peer coaching, and other mind-body modalities.


The UCLA Recreation FITWELL Program activates wellness on campus by educating, motivating and empowering faculty, staff and students to make healthy lifestyle choices specifically in the areas of fitness and exercise, nutrition and weight management, stress management, and general health education.


Consultation & Response Team (Suicide, Violence and Emotional/ Psychological Crises Resources)

UCLA’s Consultation & Response Team is composed of representatives from key campus departments, such as The College, Student Affairs, and the UCLA Police Department The Team meets weekly to identify students in crisis, then works quickly and collaboratively to assess a distressed student’s needs, direct her/him to campus and community resources, and consult with the UCLA offices impacted by the crisis.

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

CAPS is the student mental health center on campus that provides a multitude of services including individual counseling, group therapy, wellness programming, urgent care counseling, and more.

  • All currently registered UCLA students are eligible for all services offered by The Counseling Center. Students, who are not currently registered, please refer to their fee schedule for specific pricing information.
  • Location: John Wooden Center West, 221 Westwood Plaza, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1556. The entrance faces the Intramural Field and Drake Stadium. Reception is located on the second floor. The first floor contains conference and group rooms only.
  • Phone: (310) 825-0768
    • Crisis counseling available 24-hours a day by phone.
  • Hours of Operation:
    • Monday through Thursday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
    • Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. 
      • (Except for University holidays)

The Mindfulness Awareness Research Center (MARC)

MARC’s mission is to teach and promote mindful awareness and mindfulness mediation. 

There are many ways to bring mindfulness into your life such as mediation, yoga, nature, etc. Regardless of the method mindfulness has proved to have some very beneficial results. Research shows that mindfulness can lower blood pressure and boost the immune system; increase attention and focus, including aid those suffering from ADHD; help with difficult mental states such as anxiety and depression, fostering well-being and less emotional reactivity; and thicken the brain in areas in charge of decision making, emotional flexibility, and empathy. 

MARC offers classes and workshops to the general public 

Free Drop-in meditation sessions are available to students and there are free guided meditation on the MARC website that are terrific to use all the time and particular under times of high stress such as finals week.

The GRIT Peer-to-peer Life Coaching Program

The GRIT Peer-to-Peer Life Coaching program is committed to the development and well-being of the whole student. GRIT stands for guidance, resilience, integrity and transformation.  In this program, UCLA students receive individualized support from trained peer coaches, with the aims of enhancing overall well-being and improving academic and personal success by utilizing various strategies for empowerment.  Topic areas that peer coaches focus on during their one-on-one sessions with students include stress management and mindfulness, fostering positive social connections, goal setting, academic skills enrichment and navigating campus resources.  

Click here to request a coach.

UCLA Recreation

UCLA Recreation offers a wide range of recreational activities and services. Students, through their tuition and fees, have access to recreation facilities and may purchase additional services.

  • All current UCLA students have a membership to the Wooden Center to go work out whenever they have the time!

  • Activities available include: full gym, cardio equipment, and a climbing wall. Wellness programming, group classes, open recreation, club sports, and outdoor adventures, and more.

Student Services

Campus Library Instructional Computing Commons (CLICC)

The Campus Library Instructional Computing Commons (CLICC) offers technology and support for UCLA students, faculty, and staff. CLICC provides services such as laptop lending, printing, study room reservations, projector loans, computer stations, and a wide variety of instructional software.

Checkout laptops using your Bruincard at 7 different locations around campus! For FREE.

Campus Safety

UCLA has established a comprehensive safety and security program including police, fire, and medical units; a campus escort service available from dusk until 1:00 a.m. and an evening van service.

The Evening Van Service provides a safe means of transportation around campus during the evening hours. The vans provide transportation between campus buildings, on-campus housing and nearby residential areas. The service is free of charge and available to all UCLA students, staff, faculty and visitors. For added safety, the vans are driven by Community Service Officers (CSOs) who carry two-way radios, providing a direct link to the UCLA Police Department.

CSO escorts are available free of charge to walk with students, faculty, staff or visitors 365 days a year from dusk until 1 a.m. between campus buildings, local living areas or Westwood Village within the approximate boundaries of Sunset Boulevard to the north, Hilgard to the east, Wilshire to the South, and Veteran to the west.

UCPD Website

Career Center

The Career Center is an incredible resource for transfers! They offer career development services for students including career counseling, events and workshops, jobs and internship search, and graduate and professional school preparation services.

  • Make sure to take advantage of their one-on-one career counseling appointments, Bruinview the online job search and networking tool available to you as a student for free, and the thorough career guide that the UCLA Career Center prints each year.
  • Location: 501 Westwood Plaza, Strathmore Building, North Entrance, 2nd & 3rd Floors
  • Phone: 310-206-1915

Center for Community Learning

In collaboration with campus academic departments, the Center for Community Learning offers UCLA undergraduates the opportunity to participate in civic engagement through a variety of structured, rigorous academic courses that link theory with practice. 

They offer internship courses, a Civic Engagement and a Disabilities Minor, as well as a number of other learning courses and programs.

Location: A265 Murphy Hall
Phone: 310-825-7867
Email: (for appointment only)

Community Programs Office (CPO)

CPO provides student-initiated, student-run outreach, service and retention programs that focuses on giving back to historically marginalized communities by engaging, educating, and empowering students.  Resources available include programs through:

Location: Student Activities Center, Suite 105
Phone: 310-825-5969

Dean of Students

The Dean of Students Office oversees most Honors societies at UCLA. They are a good point of contact if you should have any concerns or issues as a student at UCLA especially when it comes to campus climate, academic integrity, and other rights and regulations.

LGBT Resource Center

The UCLA Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Campus Resource Center is the crossroads of the LGBTQ community at UCLA, providing a comprehensive range of education and advocacy services supporting intersectional identity development. They foster an open, safe and inclusive environment for lesbian, gay, bisexual, intersex, transgender, queer, asexual, questioning, and same-gender-loving students, faculty, staff, alumni, their families, and the entire campus community. Connect with them on Facebook!

Location: Student Activities Center, B36
Phone: 310-206-3628

Center for Accessible Education (CAE)

CAE provides accommodations to students with permanent or temporary disabilities and most chronic medical conditions.

    Services include: research assistance, in class note taking, adaptive equipment for the classroom, mobility assistance, and much more. If you are not sure if you have a disability, please contact the CAE.

    Main Location: Murphy Hall A255 Phone: (310) 825-1501
    Proctoring Center Location: A242 Murphy Hall, (310) 825-2651

Registrar: Important Dates and Deadlines

The Registrar’s Office website offers a number of sources of information. The quarterly Schedule of Classes, General Catalog of course descriptions, and lists all important dates and deadlines can be found here. This is also where you will go for course registration dates, financial aid dates, deadlines to add/drop classes, information on changing grading type, and all other important deadlines to keep in mind for the quarter and for the entire year. The Registrar's Office is open from 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday (except holidays)

Some services are available online, by telephone, or in person. See the Registrar's Services Directory in the current Schedule of Classes for services that may be available through these media. 

Location: 1113 Murphy Hall
Phone: (310) 825-1091

Residential Life

Residential Life is responsible for creating safe, supportive, and inclusive living-learning communities for students living on-campus. They offer resources like academic support resources and specialized programming. 

Location: 205 Bradley Hall
Phone:  310-825-3401

Student Organizations, Leadership, and Engagement (SOLE)

SOLE advises about 1000 campus organizations. Services include registration of new and continuing organizations, programming assistance, organization development, fundraising approval and guidelines, funding proposal consultation, and advisement on rules and regulations. The Main Office also approves time, place, and manner for the campus activities of registered organizations.

With so many groups on campus, there is a good chance there is one with your interest and liking. Click here to search all the groups and organizations on campus.

Location: Kerckhoff Hall 105
Phone: (310) 825-7041

The Undergraduate Students Association (USAC)

USAC is a student governing body made up of fourteen student officers and commissioners that are elected by members of the Undergraduate Students Association.

Elections are held every year in the spring. There are many leadership, job, and internship opportunities through USAC that transfers should certainly get involved in if they are interested in the politics and policy of student government.

Test Bank at CPO

Print out past graded exams that were given by your current professors at the CPO Test Bank. The service is free to enrolled students.

*To continue using the resource after your first quarter you must bring a graded exam in exchange for more past tests.

Location: Student Activities Center, room 105
Phone: 310-825-5969

UCLA Office of Ombuds Services (Mediation and Dispute Resolution Services)

The Office of Ombuds Services is a place where members of the UCLA community (students, faculty, staff, and administration) can go for assistance in resolving conflicts, disputes, or complaints on an informal basis.Acting as neutrals and committed to confidentiality, the Ombudspersons may gather information on complaints, clarify issues, expedite processes or, when appropriate, initiate mediation.

Location: Strathmore Building, Suite 105
Phone: (310) 825-7627

UCLA Volunteer Center

The Volunteer Center promotes civic engagement to UCLA students through the integration of teaching, research and service alongside community partners. 

Programs offered through the UCLA Volunteer Center include UCLA Volunteer Day (an incredible opportunity every fall quarter to participate in a service event in the Los Angeles community with thousands of other Bruins), One Bus, One Cause events (join a bus full of UCLA students and volunteer for the day in areas that have need), Operation Gratitude (a yearlong letter writing project in which volunteers write hand-written letters to US military service members around the world), and so much more!

Location: 10920 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1500, Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: 310-983-3525

Student Organization

IDEAS (Improving Dreams, Equality, Access, and Success)

IDEAS  is the official voice of undocumented students at UCLA, They exists to provide undocumented students with the resources and support needed to ensure their retention in higher education. Furthermore, IDEAS strive to ensure access to higher education by educating our communities about the opportunities open for higher education success. 

Join IDEAS at their weekly General Body Meeting (GBM) on Wednesdays. Please check  their website or social media for location & time. 

Phone: 310-825-6937

Off-campus Resources

580 Cafe

The 580 Cafe offers a comfortable place for students to relax, study, eat and more!  Lively discussions, art and music make this a special place to hang out, meet new friends, or catch up with old ones. There is always something going on at the 580, and always someone to talk to! located at St.Alban's  center door off patio. 

For more information, contact: Jeanne Roe Smith, Campus Minister

580 Hilgard Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90024
Phone: 310-909-4471
Hours: Mon- Fri  9-5pm  other times by appointment.

Immigrants Rising

Immigrants Rising (formerly known as E4FC) is a nonprofit organization based in San Francisco that aims to empower undocumented youth in their pursuit of college, career and citizenship.  They do this by doing policy advocacy, scholars programs and guides for scholarships, etc. 

Their vision is the following:

We believe that talented undocumented young people are vital to the long-term growth and prosperity of the United States, and that empowering them to achieve their academic and career goals and gain citizenship is essential to maximizing their contributions.

We envision a thriving educational system, which gives aspiring undocumented young people the information, encouragement and financial resources they need to excel in higher education.

We envision a fair employment system that allows undocumented young people access to work authorization and the ability to pursue careers that benefit from their skills, training, and potential.

We envision a just and humane immigration system that recognizes the dignity, struggle, and contributions of undocumented young people and their families by providing them with a viable path to citizenship. We believe that, without access to citizenship, undocumented people will be restricted from achieving full equality and inclusion in U.S. society.

Click here to connect with Immigrants Rising or get additional information on the services they provide.

Pre-Health Dreamers (PHD)

Pre-Health Dreamers is a rapidly growing information-sharing network and community of over 215 pre-health undocumented students across 27 different states, representing various career interests. PHD investigates and shares information on career pathways for pre-health undocumented students as well as advocates for more progressive institutional and governmental policies for undocumented students.

As undocumented students pursuing careers in science and health ourselves, we have witnessed first-hand the dearth of resources available for undocumented students in our fields. 

Click here to stay connected with PHD.

Asian Americans Advancing Justice (AAAJ)

Asian Americans Advancing Justice is a nonprofit organization based in Los Angeles.  (Advancing Justice-LA)is the nation’s largest legal and civil rights organization for Asian Americans, Native Hawaiians, and Pacific Islanders (NHPI).

Their are of expertise includes:

  • Advocacy

  • Capacity Building

  • Community Organizing

  • Impact Litigation

  • Leadership Development

  • Legal Services

  • Public Policy

  • Research and Education

  • Click here to connect with Advancing Justice LA.

National Immigration Law Center (NILC)


The National Immigration Law Center is one of the leading organizations in the U.S. exclusively dedicated to defending and advancing the rights of low-income immigrants.  

At NILC, we believe that all people who live in the U.S.—regardless of their race, gender, immigration and/or economic status—should have the opportunity to achieve their full potential. Over the years, we’ve been at the forefront of many of the country’s greatest challenges when it comes to immigration issues, and play a major leadership role in addressing the real-life impact of polices that affect the ability of low-income immigrants to prosper and thrive. 

Los Angeles, CA
National Headquarters
PO Box 70067 Los Angeles, CA  90070
(213) 639-3900  |  (213) 639-3911 fax  |